- About JAG
- JAG States
- Partners & Donors
- JAG Model
2017 Kenneth M. Smith Scholarship Application
Since 2009, the Kenneth M. Smith Scholarship Fund has awarded 113 scholarships. Eighty-one scholarships were for $1,000 and thirty-two were for $2,000 for a total of $145,000 in scholarships for JAG graduates. Funding for the KMS Scholarship Fund has come from JAG Board members as well as the Western Union Foundation, Lillian Goldman Trust, Strategic Partnerships and Corporate Education Resources, Inc.
The Kenneth M. Smith Scholarship Fund and the Smith Scholars Program were established by the JAG Board of Directors to recognize the extraordinary leadership and service of the President and Chief Executive Officer of Jobs for America’s Graduates, Inc., Kenneth M. Smith. The number of scholarships to be awarded is dependent on the donations to the Kenneth M. Smith Scholarship Fund. Mr. Smith is the only President and CEO of Jobs for America’s Graduates and was the President and CEO of the founding state organization, Jobs for Delaware Graduates, Inc., in 1979. Jobs for America’s Graduates was launched in 1980 to test the JAG Model nationwide under the board leadership of Delaware Governor Pierre S. du Pont IV and CEO Kenneth M. Smith.
- Scholarships are awarded to high school seniors in pursuit of a postsecondary degree or certificate, including: a public or private two-year community college, technical college, college/university, apprenticeship or trade school. Scholarships are also awarded to former Smith Scholars who apply for a follow-on scholarship to continue pursuit of a postsecondary degree or certificate and can demonstrate financial need.
- Online applications submitted by the deadline of February 20, 2017 will be reviewed by JAG Board members on the Scholars and Governance Committees. After midnight on February 20, no applications may be uploaded for consideration by the 2017 Kenneth M. Smith Scholarship Fund.
- Scholarship recipients are welcome to attend the National Leadership Awards Luncheon in November of 2017 although attendance is not required to be a Smith Scholar and expenses are not reimbursable.
- The number of awards may vary from year to year based upon the Ken Smith Scholarship Fund balance. No less than ten (10) scholarship recipients will be announced at the JAG Board Meeting on April 28 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and posted on the JAG website on April 31, 2017.
- A letter and check for the monetary award will be mailed to Smith Scholars on May 3, 2017.
- It is highly recommended to review the reviewers' rubric prior to submitting an application. The rubric can be found here.
Additional Document Instructions:
- At the bottom of the application there are upload sections where the following documents can be submitted.
- Resume - must not exceed two typed pages, which includes personal information, education, and employment history as well as the following sections: Awards and Honors, Community Service, and Leadership Roles and Activities.
Essay (Word or .doc preferred but not required) - The essay must be two pages (single spaced, 12pt Arial font) that addresses the following:
- The three reasons you enrolled in the JAG program and the biggest lesson you learned from your JAG Specialist.
- Your personal story and what lessons you learned from meeting challenges in your life.
- The reason you picked your career pathway and why you feel the educational institution you selected will help you make the most progress toward your career goal.
- Your commitment to JAG to uphold the responsibilities of a Smith Scholar by achieving your career goal and helping others who need a boost to achieve their academic and career goals.
- High School Transcript - official or unoffical.
- Proof of Application or Acceptance - Please upload either of these documents below. If you cannot upload for some reason there is space to explain.
Three Reference Letters - Please upload three reference letters below.
- Reference #1 should provide specific examples of applicant's academic capabilities and achievements.
- Reference #2 should provide specific examples of applicant's leadership capabilities and activities.
- Reference #3 should provide specific examples of applicant's job/career readiness.
- High Resolution Photo - The applicant's photo can be uploaded below.
Please fill out the application and submit required documents. If you have questions please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. (*indicates required information)
Fill out my online form.