at Jobs for America’s Graduates (JAG)
Flexible (hybrid in Washington D.C. or remote)
Jobs for America’s Graduates (JAG) is a national non-profit organization on a mission to empower the nation’s young people with the skills and support to succeed in education, employment, and in life. For over 40 years, JAG has been working to prevent school dropouts and help America’s most vulnerable young people to succeed in postsecondary education and to secure a job. As the country’s premier education and job preparation / placement program for young people of great promise, JAG has helped more than 1.6 million youth and young adults prepare for future success.
Under a new President & CEO, JAG is preparing to launch a strategic planning process in 2024 that will continue the work of our current plan, Youth Opportunities and Outcomes 2024, which aims to create equitable opportunities for more young people at their time of greatest need, while providing an advantage for youth that results in increased stability, a deep sense of purpose, and positive outcomes. We are seeking the ideal candidate to join the development team, responsible for overseeing all facets of crafting successful funding proposal submissions, including fundraising, grants, donations, and special events. This role is crucial in advancing our mission to serve young people.
About this Role:
Jobs for America’s Graduate (JAG) is actively seeking an experienced grants and fundraising professional to assume the pivotal role of Director of Strategic Development. In this capacity, you will be instrumental in the development and stewardship of corporate and foundation relationships. Your primary responsibilities will include creating and nurturing both existing and new grants, fostering individual giving, and cultivating corporate and foundation partnerships.
As Director of Strategic Development, you play a critical role in supporting operations subject matter experts in program development and execution. Your expertise will be utilized to leverage funding opportunities and craft mission-critical response documents for partners. This multifaceted role requires the transformation of project concepts to seamlessly align with current and future strategies, operations, and programs through the creation of competitive applications and high-quality documents.
To succeed in this role, the Director of Strategic Development must possess a profound understanding of JAG’s vision, goals, and priorities, showcasing flexibility, efficiency, and diplomacy while working both independently and collaboratively with ad hoc teams.This position represents an exciting opportunity to contribute significantly to the growth and success of JAG by strategically navigating the realms of grants, individual giving, corporate partnerships, and foundation relationships.
- Collaborate with the VP, Development, and Director of Corporate Development to enhance external relationships, driving corporate and foundation proposal submissions.
- Evaluate funding solicitations from private foundations, corporate partners, federal/state agencies, and individual giving for alignment with JAG’s mission.
- Lead the overall proposal development process, organizing and planning for solicitations.
- Work with proposal leads and subject matter experts on proposal development, providing direction and support.
- Identify partners with operations staff to strengthen proposals.
- Develop proposals and write grants under the guidance of the VP of Development.
- Provide professional development opportunities for staff and JAG affiliates.
- Assess response gaps related to funding criteria/partner requests and execute strategies to address deficiencies.
- Prepare and finalize the full proposal package for submission, submitting it to funding agencies, foundations, and corporate partners.
- Collaborate with the Grants & Compliance Director to support post-award activities such as kick-off meetings, state of work modification requests, budget modifications, and reporting.
- Maintain a list of potential funding agencies in collaboration with the Development team via the CRM database.
- Provide input to the VP on fund development strategy to further JAG’s mission and reach.
- Develop proposed project budgets that include sensitive information, matching funds, and leveraged resources.
- Collaborate with compliance and finance staff to ensure organizational alignment and agency compliance before document submission, seeking continuous improvement in workflow processes.
- Collaborate and coordinate with contract partners as needed to support proposals.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor’s degree and 7 years of nonprofit, grant writing, fundraising, and/or sales experience preferred.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising and nonprofit development leadership.
- Proven record of success in account management and developing corporate partnerships that result in exceeding revenue targets.
- Knowledge of product marketing/sales concepts.
- Outcome-driven, with the ability to respond to changing circumstances and priorities.
- Ability to manage and motivate groups and individuals.
- Excellent oral and written communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong market, community, and constituent perspective.
- Proficiency in computer-based information systems.
- Track record of success in leading full lifecycle development strategies, including writing, editing, and collaborating with staff on proposals all the way through to securing 6- and 7-figure gifts.
- Proficiency in using data and CRM systems to inform fundraising strategy and priorities, measure outcomes, and drive superior proposal submission.
- Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills.
- Strong understanding of grant regulations and proposal compliance.
- Proficient in budget development.
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills.
- Self-reliant, a good problem solver, and results oriented.
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs.
- Passion for social change, with a demonstrated commitment to serving young people of promise and dedication to mission-fueled work.
- Intentional inclusivity, modeling diversity, equity, and inclusion in all actions.
- Reliability, High Emotional Intelligence, and experience in cross-cultural contexts.
- Availability to work some nights and weekends.
Strategic Partnerships, LLC, the management firm of Jobs for America’s Graduates, offers competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with other national non-profit organizations.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
As an organization, JAG is prioritizing lifting up the voices of JAG participants, while also prioritizing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the organization, including our national organization as well as with our Affiliates and our partners. With all involved, we are bringing resources to bear to enhance our DEI efforts, building off of 40+ years of serving youth of color and other marginalized populations so they have access to equal opportunity and outcomes.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: Michelle.Payne@jag.org