Washington, D.C. November 15, 2012
The end-of-year JAG Board meeting was held on November 15 to set the agenda for 2013. In a very interactive and engaging Board meeting, key decisions were made, including:
- Re-elected the slate of Directors for three-year terms.
- Elected the slate of Officers for 2013, including the election of Governor Jack Markell, Chair; Governor Brian Sandoval, Vice Chair; Tom Tauke, Chair, Executive Committee; Ken Smith, President; China Gorman, Secretary; and Carolyn Warner, Treasurer.
- Approved the 2013 Plan of Work, the most extensive in JAG’s history.
- Approved the 2013 budget to support the work of JAG in 2013.
- Approved the extension of contracts with Strategic Partnerships and Corporate Education Resources, Inc. for 2013 per the recommendation of the Management Assessment Committee.
- Approved reports of the various committees following engaging discussions.
The Board had a thoughtful discussion on options for capturing national leadership attention from both the public and private sectors on the escalating issue of youth unemployment. The discussion also revolved around highlighting as part of any event or engagement strategy the fact that JAG has had one of the highest levels of impact on improving youth unemployment rates among any category of organizations, including the extraordinary graduation rates of JAG participants. The Board requested that the management, working with interested members of the Board, develop options for consideration. The “waters will be tested” with the Business Roundtable, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and key JAG funding sources about how we might galvanize Chief Executive Officers to participate in the program.
Thanks again to all of those who attended and those who were able to join us by phone for such an important meeting. JAG management is “on the case” in the completion of the 2012 Plan of Work and implementing the processes and systems to pursue the goals and objectives agreed to in the 2013 Plan of Work.